Tuesday, June 9, 2009

TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Nope, I'm not talking about socket sets and voltage meters, I'm talking about the two essentials of almost any given job: something to write with and a place to sit. Granted, I've had a few jobs where the only place I had to sit was on a bale of hay or in a dark closet where I could have some quiet time, but ultimately I've always needed somewhere to call home base.


My glorious current office desk - two file cabinets and a piece of laminated MDF board

In a perfect world where the economy wasn't being ravaged like a vat of gummy worms in a candy store full of fat kids, I'd be able to demand that I have a desk that shares the equivalence of my beauty, charm and talent, not one made from "whatever was lying around". And if that were reality (the part where I get whatever desk I want), I'd be heading over to Retro Office, a company from Santa Fe Springs, CA, who specializes in selling all manner of salvaged, restored vintage warehouse office furniture. Credenzas, archival map flat files, old waste baskets and the crown gem of them all, their tanker desks.


Dear god, will you look at that thing?? I could have a side extention and a pencil drawer!!

The design, the durability...oh my god, and they have over 40 different colors you can customize your furniture in, including auto metal flake (you can even get a two-tone paint job so the desk in your shop matches exactly the paint scheme on your car or bike) or original manufacturers colors. They also have several selections of desktop material (including glass, for local deliveries only) AND if you order any kind of steel chair that needs upholstering, they have a vast selection of fabrics to choose from or you can send in your own. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! *head explodes*

Now that we've got the whole desk part of this equation squared away, let's move on to our writing utensils of choice - pencils!! In true homage to the fact that "they don't make 'em like they used to", Bob Truby's Brand Name Pencils is one of the most curious - and well designed! - sites I've stumbled upon in the last few months. It's an OCD pencil-nerd's virtual wet dream, showcasing 142 different brands of pencils and sorted not only by brand but by several characteristics as well, such as "copying pencils" "over-sized ferrule".

My personal favorites (yes, I nerded out that hard core about pencils):








Bob even goes so far as to include little tibits of information about each manufacturer, which satisfies the useless-knowledge junkie in me to no end. For example, did you know that the Ozark Pencil Co., founded in 1911, also claimed to be the leading manufacturer in not only pencils but enamel whistles?? Who knew!?

Hours of fun, to say the least. Hmm...now I just need to send Bob an email so he can answer my one remaining question..."Can I see your pencil box??"

No comments:

Post a Comment